Tuesday, 28 July 2015
New Member Classes At Shomair Yisrael
We are approaching the fourth week of the new member class, which are rolling in at the end of the Friday night services through July and August until completed. Anyone interested in exploring membership should contact Keith Henschen (865-257-2998) if you are not already on his list. The classes are open to everyone, even people who are already members.
New Beginnings - Friday Night Service At Shomair Yisrael
We have recently begun an additional weekly worship service on Friday evenings at 7pm. I would like to say a few words to explain. Kabbalat Shabbat (welcoming the Sabbath) is something we can do at home, or at synagogue. There is a great deal of beauty surrounding the beginning of Shabbat (more on that at another time).
There are several reasons we are starting a Friday night meeting. They are listed below. This will go from 7-8:30PM including oneg. Oneg will be light sweets (cookies, cake, brownies - please bring something) only served with iced tea or hot tea.
1. This will give us an opportunity to teach what it is to welcome the Sabbath, that is likened to the arrival of a bride at her wedding.
2. We will be able to enjoy the special Friday night liturgy that is an expression not used on Saturday morning.
3. This service will give those who are not able to attend on Saturday for various reasons an opportunity to connect in fellowship with us.
4. This will not be a regular worship service like Saturday morning, but a less formal gathering. We will share in praise, worship and prayer, but in a distinctively different way. We will share in communion, but there will not be a Torah service, plus many other distinctions.
5. The service will be about 40 minutes with a 15 minute teaching/discussion as we share in the Word.
6. We will begin the first few weeks by using the teaching time to teach our new members class. On the second and third weeks we will have a guest evangelist who wants to sow into this in an evangelistic way, which bring me to my last point.
7. This will be another venue for outreach. It will be easier to invite visitors to a shorter, less formal, gathering at the synagogue on Friday night, than at the larger and longer Saturday morning service. We have some good news, as the Bible quotes Philip sharing with Nathaniel ...
John 1:45 "We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote - Yeshua of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."
What's more, He is the Jewish Savior and Lord of the Jewish people and the whole world. And He is Lord of the Sabbath. (Mark 2:28 & Luke 6:5)
Rabbi Michael Weiner,